Business Web Hosting since 2005
New!

How to install Magento on a PC with XAMPP

After wasting hours yesterday trying to get Magento working on XAMPP, I finally hit a winning combination. So here’s the summary of how to get a local copy of Magento running on a PC. Tested on Windows Vista (32bit) with XAMPP v1.7.1 and Magento 1.3.2.4.

Quick tips

• Use XAMPP 1.7.1 – the version is important! v1.6.8 may also work.
  • Enable curl in php.ini
  • Install from http://127.0.01 and NOT localhost

XAMPP

To run a PHP/MySQL site on a PC you need a Linux distro, giving you an Apache server on your PC. We use XAMPP – it’s reliable, well-supported and easy to install. When you install XAMPP, the version is VERY important:
XAMPP 1.7.2 uses PHP5.3 which the curent version of Magento can’t handle
XAMPP 1.7.1 is the version I’m using – recommended
XAMPP 1.6.8 has been reported to work with Magento but I can’t verify this

So if you’re starting from scratch, use v1.7.1. If you have an existing install, check your version and upgrade if necessary. XAMPP project: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html. Older versions can be downloaded from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/. Choose the XAMPP Windows versions.

CURL

By default curl is disabled in XAMPP. Download /apachefriends/xampp/php/php.ini and find the curl extension. Uncomment it by removing the semi-colon in front of it:
extension=php_curl.dll

Installing Magento

Download the latest version of Magento: http://www.magentocommerce.com/product/community-edition
Unzip the folder into your /htdocs/ folder. By default this will unzip into a /magento/ folder.
Create a blank database via your PHPMyAdmin (http://localhost/phpmyadmin)
Go to: http://127.0.0.1/magento/index.php/install and follow the install procedure.

Note that I’m saying “127.0.0.1”. If you use “localhost” cookies won’t work (except in Opera), you won’t be able to log into admin and you will have URL warnings. Localhost isn’t recognised as valid domain name by Magento. Using “127.0.0.1” gets round that problem as it contains dots.

You’re done & ready to develop your Magento shop offline!

28 Responses to How to install Magento on a PC with XAMPP

1. m0sh3g October 4, 2009 at 3:16 am #

“Localhost isn’t recognised as valid domain name by Magento.”

This is incorrect, the Magento doesn’t have any preference for localhost or not, it’s a browser issue, as you’ve mentioned that it works with Opera.

As a side note, I’ve found that WAMP presents less problems with configuring and crashing.

2. Rhea October 4, 2009 at 1:27 pm #

I’m sorry, but it is yourself that is in error. The latest versions of Magento include a check for a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), which must have one or more periods (dots) in the name e.g. yourdomain.com

‘localhost’ contains no periods (dots) whilst ‘127.0.0.1’ does, and this is why you must use 127.0.0.1 and not localhost.

Older versions of Magento, which don’t have the FQDN check, will work with ‘localhost’.

Rhea

3. Mark October 9, 2009 at 4:35 am #

setup a virtual host. apache/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts

Can have multiple Magentos installed all running of whatever domain you want. Just add the appropriate lines in your hosts file too!!

4. avon November 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm #

i recieved a massage – “Fatal error: Method Varien_Object::__tostring() cannot take arguments in C:\xampp\htdocs\magento\lib\Varien\Object.php on line 488″
    how can i resolve that and move on with the installation?

5. Edith November 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Hi Avon – are you trying to install Magento on PHP5.3? The current version is not compatible with PHP5.3. If your on a local XAMPP install, I’d recommend to roll back to PHP 5.2.9.

The Magento forum has a lot of threads on this error, but my concern would be that even if you fix this one, you’ll run into further PHP5.3 problems. Magento forum links: http://bit.ly/3igurT

6. j2ibeo November 25, 2009 at 8:34 am #

I got the same error with Edith and now downloading a lower version of PHP ( 5.2.11) . Is this version working on magento?

thanks

7. Edith November 25, 2009 at 9:24 am #

Hi j2beo – As far as I know, it’s only 5.3+ that cause problems. However on the Magento forum there are workarounds for 5.3+. You do need to modify core code, but it is possible to get it to work. Search for “Magento” and “PHP5.3″ on Google / Magento forum.

8. Joe January 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

FYI. This totally works. The author is 100% correct. Now all I need is a step-by-step to repair the hole in the wall that I made with my head.

9. Rhea January 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm #

Yes, those holes in the wall are a real problem. Made a few of those myself over the years!

10. Jonathon January 31, 2010 at 12:38 am #

Running XAMPP 1.7.1 with Magento 1.3.2.4

All was well setting up the site until I tried adding new products. Apache crashes… Any thoughts?

11. Rhea January 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Edit your php.ini as follows, then completely shut down Apache and restart:

1. file uploads limit should be set to 128 Mbs
    2. max execution time should be set to 90 seconds

and

3. make sure you’re not running PHP 5.3. If you are then roll back XAMPP to the laest 5.2+ version, which can be found at Source Forge

Report back if they don’t solve the problem

Rhea

12. Srinivas Tamada February 2, 2010 at 5:19 am #

Hi Rhea,

I modified php.ini but while clicking the Configuration page button ‘continue’ the apache http server has stopped working message is coming.

13. hidalcri February 7, 2010 at 9:03 am #

You are awesome! I think that I bang my head so hard that it trans-passed to the neighbor apartment!! Hours trying and trying. Thank you so much!!!

Now, how can you configure magento to work via the FTP server of your site??

Thanks again so much!!

14. Best Content Management System February 19, 2010 at 11:02 pm #

Thanks for the tips, they really helpes! I was able to figure out how to install Magento locally onto my computer running Windows XP. Here is a step by step guide on how to install Magento with no errors! http://www.jvfconsulting.com/blog/117/How_To_Install_Magento_Locally_On_Windows_XP.html

15. Ed Hardy March 11, 2010 at 10:42 am #

16. Edith March 11, 2010 at 11:53 am #

Hi Ed – which version of XAMPP and what version of Magento are you using? Edith

17. Alexander May 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Hi anytime I get to the point where I need to fill in my host name, database name and all and click continue, it shuts down my apache server. I’m trying to install using xampp version 1.70, what could be the cause?

18. Edith May 17, 2010 at 9:34 am #

Hi Alexander – as stated in my blog: XAMPP 1.7.0 does NOT work with Magento – Apache will crash during Magento install. You need to upgrade your XAMPP install to at least 1.7.1.

19. sarah July 3, 2010 at 2:52 am #

I am trying to install magento 1.4.0.1 on xampp 1.7.2 — i am also stuck in the configuration page. I’ve recreated the database, but still no avail, any thoughts on this?

20. Rhea July 3, 2010 at 10:22 am #

The very first paragraph advises that you use XAMPP 1.7.1 (and not 1.7.2). I recommend you go with that advice.

Rhea

21. priya July 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

i am using windows vista . i want to install magento in my local computer.But when i install magento an error occurs “PHP extension “curl” must be loaded.” .how can i solve this problem…

22. Rhea July 17, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

When you install XAMPP it does not come with the cURL add-on as standard, but this is available from the same page as XAMPP. You need to download that and install it.

23. ECOMBUS.com July 23, 2010 at 6:04 am #

I think you may alter the Varien.php in \app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Session\Abstract\ to solve the problem what about cookies.
    Change if (isset($cookieParams['domain']) to if (isset($cookieParams['domain']) && !in_array(“127.0.0.1″, self::getValidatorData())) {

24. Mage April 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

This is a great tutorial for beginners like me. However, you should note that if you enable anything in your php.ini file during active Apache server, you will need to restart it for changes to take effect. Also, I have encountered a “Database connection error” during installation issue, which I am trying to figure out now.

25. bindu October 23, 2012 at 5:46 am #

I am installing a fresh magento 1.7.0.0 in my Windows XP computer. I have Xampp installed. While installing magento, I had a problem at the configuration step where I had to fill database host, username, password etc. When I click continue after filling the required fields, the installation process doesn’t move forward. I am redirected to the same page.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How to install Magento on a PC with XAMPP » owww.info - May 9, 2011

[...] source [...]

2. Debuging MAGENTO locally | DYERPROJECTS - September 10, 2011

[...] From: http://www.terranetwork.net/blog/2009/10/how-to-install-magento-on-a-pc/ [...]

3. Learn how to customize your Magento theme - August 24, 2012

[...] To create a local server, we can use XAMP (Windows) or MAMP (Macintosh). We can find online detailed instructions on how to install Magento on a local server, both for XAMP and MAMP. [...]

Facebook

LinkedId

Google Plus

• Simple mini black icons which includes 12 icons within the set in total. The icons would be perfect to be used within mobile interface design.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • Egg-shaped social icons. All icons in PNG format and in 4 different sizes (512x512px, 256x256px, 128x128px, 64x64px)

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • Crisp is a brand new free social media icon set produced exclusively for the readers of Visual Swirl. It consists of 25 professionally designed round icons for social media sites. Also included are a few miscellaneous icons (mail, rss, and apple) that can be used to complete a sharing section on your blog or website. The package contains icons in PNG format in 3 convenient sizes: 128x128px, 64x64px, and 32x32px.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • Up for grabs is a beautiful set of social icons. This free download includes a PSD file will fully editable shape layers, plus 56 icon variations in PNG format.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • This is a set of 64 balloon icons which covers most of the popular social network and sharing tools icons. The set is free for both personal and commercial use.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • This freebie is simply a variation of the Google+ icon, I’ve created the icon set available to be used within commercial and non commercial design projects. The icon set comes in three different sizes 32px x 256px ,128px x 128px, and 64px x 64px.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • Free Hand-drawn social media icons set contains pretty much every icon you will ever need while covering social media. This icons set includes 30 hand-drawn social media website icons which are Rss, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, LinkedIn, Behance, Flicker, Dribbble, Youtube, Tumbler, Yahoo, Google, Reddit, Digg, StumbleUpon and many more in 3 different sizes (64x64px, 48x48px, 32x32px).

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • This free icon set, by WordPressThemeShock, consists of 10 icons for social media sites, as well as common content-sharing icons like an RSS feed icon and an email icon. Each icon comes with its own editable source file (in .AI format) so that you can easily modify the icons as you see fit. The theme of this icon set freebie is centered on 3D and wooden textures.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • Blueprint Social is a set of 16 free icons for major social network in a blueprint style which matches our other free icon set Blueprint Adobe. In this version it features Facebook, Twitter, Google, Delicious, Flickr, StumbleUpon, Design float, WordPress, RSS, Furl, Mixx, Blogger, DeviantArt, Linkedin, Vimeo.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013
  • A simple red subtle grunge social media icon set. The icons can be used within commercial and non commercial design projects.

Pinned: 15 Mar 2013